Translate

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Heart Shaped Apples

I've seen these at the grocery store many times and its appearance has piqued my curiosity consistently. I finally decided to get a few this weekend just to satisfy my curiosity. I am quite fond of its appearence, it looks like a hybrid of an apple and pear. One of the names this fruit goes by is "Wax Apple," I assumed that based on the name there would be a heavy layer of wax over the skin but that was definitely not the case. It is also called "Rose Apple" because of the mild scent of roses on the fruit. To eat this, you would bite into it as you would with any other apple. I like to cut up my fruit so with a quick washing and a single slice, it was ready to be eaten.The texture is not as firm and crisp as a normal apple such as Fiji apples and the taste is a bit milder. It's a bit difficult to describe - the texture was a hard spongy texture, not quite as firm. I find regular apples to be much sweeter but it could be a result of the product being out of season? Based on what I've read, these fruits are grown in hot climates in China, India and Thailand.


I love how it looks like a heart when you cut it in half. Yeah, I'm a sucker.
They're a nice change from the regular apples you find in the market and are definitely worth a taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment