Translate

Friday, November 22, 2013

The Holy Grail Of Chinese Breakfast

Have I ever shared with you my love for congee? Well, it's one of my favorite dishes. A childhood classic. Congee is a hot rice porridge that can easily be modified to include savory fillings such as chicken, scallops, pork and duck eggs, beef, and so forth. It is usually garnished with fresh green onions. It is a Chinese breakfast staple and goes wonderfully with deep fried crullers or steamed rice rolls. It is very popular on Asia and many breakfast restaurants will have it on their menu. There are restaurants dedicated entirely to congee and steamed rice rolls-sounds like heaven. For me, congee is one of the best breakfast dish to have in the chilly Canadian winters. It tastes so much better than oatmeal. As well, I tend to gravitate towards chicken congee when I am sick. There really is nothing quite as satisfying for me. 

Since it is predominantly made with white rice, a cup and a half, will yield a modest amount, I sometimes will replace it with brown rice. So next time you're out, give it a try. Your best bet is to order it at a restaurant that serves dimsum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment